Sunday, December 21, 2008

So much snow it makes me nauseous





It's overwhelming.  The memories of winter in Bozeman are very strong as the snow continues to fall in Walla Walla.  Eight days, with another 5-7 days' worth in the forecast.  I am ready to be done with this winter storm crap.

Yes, the kids and the dog really enjoy it. Yes, it makes everything hushed and still and shrouded in mystery.  I couldn't care less.  I'm cold.  My beloved Vangina ('04 Dodge Grand Caravan) gets stuck in the most inconvenient places.  I am grateful to live in a place where strangers get out of their cars and help push me out, cheerfully even.  But I'm worried about the downtown businesses who make or break their bottom line based on holiday sales.  I'm worried about the restaurants sitting empty while families hibernate at home.  See?  It's not ALL about me...

I've stopped wishing for a Chinook wind to come through and melt everything - major flooding would result, and I can't see any benefit in that.  A slow thaw is what it will have to be.  
How about starting now?  At this moment, it looks like we'll be on our own for Christmas Day, since there's roughly twice the amount of snow at the family cabin than the 24-28 inches we have in town, and the road between Walla Walla and Tri-Cities is in pretty bad condition, so the family is staying there, and we are staying here. Not terrible, but certainly different.

Tomorrow, I'll count my blessings; I'll find plenty to be happy about.  But right now, I'm pouting.

No comments: