Monday, December 29, 2008

The Cure for Your Holiday Hangover (Vol. 2)

This is the second year I've created a mix immediately following Christmas - as one who begins listening and selecting holiday-themed music in October, by the time Boxing Day hits, I need a break.  So here is The Cure for Your Holiday Hangover 2.

1. Supermassive Black Hole - Muse::  The first of 3, yes - 3 songs from the Twilight movie soundtrack. Here's the conversation I have with myself on a daily basis: "Self, what are you, 13? Put that book/soundtrack/blog down and clean your house/play with your children/cook a meal!" Sometimes, it even works.  I like the energy of this song, the faux-metal touches.  And the vampires look very cute in their old-fashioned baseball uniforms in the movie.
2. Beautiful - Goldfrapp:: After the first cut, this seemed an excellent choice to follow.  From the Sex & the City Soundtrack, Vol. 2.  Sweet harmonies in the chorus, love the synthesizer (one of many '80s touches on this mix).
3. Green Light - John Legend with Andre 3000:: This was a freebie from Starbucks, and I like it more than most.  My favorite line sung: Do I have a girlfriend? Well, technically, no.  My favorite line spoken: I hope you're more like Anita Baker than Robin Givens...  
4.  Rock & Roll - Eric Hutchinson::  After seeing this youngster (ha!) on a webisode of Live from Daryl's House, I found this (see also, Sinners/Saints).  I'm sure I'll be getting the rest of that, too.
5.  Half Speed - LaRocca::  from a Paste Magazine Sampler CD.  There's something a little old-fashioned about this, and I am a huge sucker for easy harmony in a chorus.  I also like the the idea of slowing down to appreciate what you've got - Now I'm moving at half speed, where once I ran.
6. I Can't Wait - Nu Shooz:: a slightly jazzy, slowed-down version of a top-40 hit from the '80s. Same artists, great vocal from Valerie Day; I love the original, but like this possibly even more.
7. All We Are - Matt Nathanson::  Sweet husband bought the Some Mad Hope album for my birthday, so now I have all the songs and am compelled to share them.
8. Hallelujah - Brandi Carlile:: One of the best songs ever, sung with heart-wrenching passion by one of my favorite female singer-songwriters to come out of the Seattle area in the past few years.  I remember in March of 2007, walking downtown Seattle during the national Main Street conference with friend Jill, seeing signs for her upcoming concert in a tiny venue near our hotel. If we had been in town a few more days, we could have seen her perform in an intimate club. Not anymore...
9. Just Like Heaven - The Watson Twins:: Probably my favorite familiar song from The Cure, taken down a few notches.  Another '80s touch, I know.  Just go with it.
10. Acid Tongue - Jenny Lewis:: I went to the cobbler to fix a hole in my shoe; he took one look at my face and said, "I can fix that hole in you." Great story, even if dropping acid is part of it. Just say no to drugs, kids.
11. Don't Wanna Die Lonely - Nick Pagliari:: Something about his voice is so appealing to me, and there's that tambourine in the chorus. From a Paste CD.  The last three or so have been really, really good.  I can usually find 2-3 songs on most samplers that I like, maybe 1-2 worthy of being on a mix, but I still haven't run out, and the next CD is due any day.  So happy.
12. Boogie Nights - Heatwave:: Disco cannot be denied.
13. Heaven - Bitter:Sweet:: The complex orchestration of this band's songs is so cool - so much to listen to, but with a great beat that you can really dance to, as well!
14. Second Hand News - The Green Cards:: More '80s - Fleetwood Mac is remarkably adaptable for country artists.  And I'm feeling the fiddles in this version. 
15. Vodka - Victoria Hart:: Live music in Walla Walla Update...during the snowiest of the snow, the folks from Neither Here Nor There, the best Walla Walla radio variety show that's not on the radio, put on a stellar holiday show.  Featuring the Part-Time Band, Adam Kirtley with The Rogues and without, Jeffrey Townsend and Sarah Koenigsberg brought the house down, beginning with a lovely version of my favorite holiday song this year, Winter Song (see Ben Jammin' 2008) and ending with an outrageous D**k in a Box.  This was the adult version of the show, I assure you.  When Jeffrey started talking about Wednesday and I knew immediately that he was going to sing "Business Time" in public, I nearly peed my pants.  And this song (brought into the 'holiday' genre by way of office parties) was my favorite of all - Sarah torched it up good!
16. Leave Out All the Rest - Linkin Park:: Maybe I really AM 13?!  Trust me, it's a catchy tune, also from the Twilight soundtrack.
17. Song for the Dixie Chicks - The Sarah Mac Band:: The title caught me and drew me in, the melancholy disillusionment coupled with the hopeful anthem of the chorus kept me captivated. Over the top?  Maybe. I can't seem to fight my attraction to thoughtful, heartfelt singer-songwriters. Shout out to Claire on bass - check out the Awakening album on their MySpace page.
18. Takes So Long - The Weepies:: From their latest album, Hideaway, Deb Talan's voice is among my favorites.  Very distinctive.  Great, thoughtful lyrics.  I can relate to the line about cutting her hair and growing it back - takes so long. 
19. Flightless Bird, American Mouth - Iron & Wine:: Again with the Twilight soundtrack. Admittedly the most grown-up of the songs on the album, it's delicate and a little ethereal. It plays during the prom scene, if you're familiar with the books/movie, a very sweet scene. Lovely.

The snow is melting quickly - it's 46 degrees with light wind as I write this at 11:30 pm. Pavement is actually visible on our street, and you can almost reach the speed limit without fear. Life is returning to normal, and I am relieved.  Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Our Horse Curly said...

Have I ever told you about MP3 Fiesta? Like iTunes store, only WAY cheaper....only 20 cents a song usually. It doesn't download directly into your iTunes, but hey, what do you expect for only 20 cents???

The Stay At Home Son said...

Ummm. I am an acquaintance of Sherilee. Can I have a copy of this mix tape??? Can you send it electronically???

ceswindell said...

thanks for the shout-out! and for including SMB songs on your mixes!